Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The latest update

Hi Everyone!

In my last update, I spoke of my upcoming trip to Africa in order to check out the possibility of working with Kids Alive in Sudan. While the trip went a bit differently as planned, it was positive nonetheless. In Kenya, I was able to participate in a regional conference for the program directors within Kids Alive for the Africa, Middle East, and Eastern Europe regions. These directors are champions of our faith. All but one of the countries within this region are led by nationals, ie. The Zambian programs are run by a Zambian director, not a missionary. Spending time with such amazing people from different cultures and backgrounds, all giving their lives for the good of the children in their country, was very special. At the end of this conference, I was planning to visit Sudan with the Francis Tombe, the Sudanese director of the Kids Alive programs in the country. Unfortunately, however, the Sudanese government did not approve my visa application, so I was unable to enter. Despite the disappointment of not being able to visit in order to understand more of what life there is like and how Kids Alive is working, I decided to commit to move to Sudan and work there. The time commitment that is being discussed is for three years. Kids Alive is only a few years old in the country, so there is lots of work to do in developing the current programs and adding some new ones as well. It’s an exciting time in an integral, important work, so I count myself blessed to be able to be a part of it all. During the regional conference, I developed a great relationship with Francis, the director, and am looking forward to working with him for the next several years. My job will essentially be as assistant to Francis, so knowing that I will be able to get along well with him obviously played an important part in my decision.

So, I’m headed to Sudan, which will bring many changes and challenges into my life. There will be a new language (Arabic) and culture to learn, new people to meet, and a new job. Many of the details are still being worked out, such as where I will live, what my daily schedule will look like, and how much extra support I will need (living and traveling will be more expensive than in the Dominican Republic). The tentative plan for the next few months is for me to spend the month of December in the US, visiting family and friends and raising more support. I’ll then go back to the DR for a few months to train my replacement and finish up some projects. Around March, I will probably head to Lebanon for about 3 months of language training, to get a basic knowledge of Arabic before moving to Sudan at some point in the summer.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. I look forward to seeing many of you while I’m in the US in December.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, Jon! I am happy reading this! God bless you, my friend. Keep us posted.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Heidi Mehltretter said...

I stumbled on your blog tonight when looking for a site about the Ark in Jarabacoa. Our family lived in La Vega for a short time and we were so impressed with the way the Ark functioned, we talk about it often.

Sudan has always been lodged in my heart and it is good to see you are going there. Perhaps some day we will meet and maybe I can do something to help your work.
warmly,
Heidi

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home