Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Future plans

Hello friends,

The end of my original 2-year commitment with Kids Alive in the DR comes to a close in December, so I am writing to give an update on some of my future plans. As I have lived and learned and grown through the last year and 10 months, I have become continually more convinced that the type of life that I’m currently living is one that I want to, and should continue. I consistently feel unworthy of the work that I am doing, while at the same time feeling consistently drawn to do more of it. Through my time in the DR, I have also gained an extreme appreciation for Kids Alive, not only here in this country, but throughout the world. The goals of the organization and methods of achieving these goals fall right in line with how I think and feel, so I am hoping to continue in working with them in the future.

Thus, being convinced of this path, the question is a matter of where in the world I will be going next. While there is a possibility of staying on in the DR, albeit in a different role than my current position, the more likely possibility is to move on to a different country. At this point, the opportunity that seems the best fit for me is in Sudan. Kids Alive is very new in this country, but they have strong national leadership in place and exciting plans for growth. Moreover, they have a need that I think I would be able fill. In order to fully understand what life and ministry would look like there, however, I need to see it first hand, so I have planned a visit for the end of October. During this trip, I will participate in a week of meetings involving the directors for all of the Kids Alive programs in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe, which takes place in Kenya. At the end of that week, I will hopefully (assuming I am able to obtain a visa) travel to Sudan for several days with the national director for the country.

Upon returning from this trip, a decision will be made by me and the leaders of Kids Alive on the possibility of moving to Sudan. I plan on leaving for Africa on the 23rd of October and returning to the DR on November 5th. I ask for your prayers for this trip. For safety, but more importantly, that my time there will make clear the decision on my future.

With love,

Jonathan

Ps. I’ll be in the US (Cedarville, Cape/Jackson, Colorado, South Carolina, and maybe a few other locations) for the month of December, I hope to see many of you then.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude... I think your amazing! I love your stability, your steadfast pursue of what you found to be right and true and good and honorable. You are an example to me. Kids Alive is amazing, too. All heaven's blessings to you, my dear friend.

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home